Tuesday, January 20, 2009

IMAAN between hope and fear

The renowned Buzrug, Hadhrat Sufyaan Thauri (rahmatullah alahyh) had become hunched-back at a young age. People would ask him for the reason of his bent-back. Sine he was always in a state of Istighraaq (contemplation and lost in concern) he would not reply. One day when his close associates pressed him for an answer, he said:

“I had three Ustaadhs from whom I had acquired knowledge. One died a Jew, one died a Christian and one died a Fire-Worshipper. When I saw this, fear bent my back”

Explaining the state of one of these Ustaadhs, Hadhrat Sufyaan Thauri (rahmatullah alahyh) said:

“One of my Ustaadhs from I had gained knowledge and whom I had served was on his death-bed. I was sitting in his presence during this state when he suddenly opened his eyes and said:

‘O Sufyaan, do you see what is being done to me? I have taught and called people to Allah for the past fifty years. Now I am being told that I am unfit and there is no need for me I am being shunned.’ ”

Sufyaan continues:

“I instructed him to recite the Kalimah, but he refused. And said: ‘When I desire to recite the Kalimah a wall of fire rushes at me.’

Thus he dies without reciting the Kalimah. When I observed this and realized the total independence of Allah Ta’ala, fear bent my back”

May Allah Ta’ala grant us all Imaan and a beautiful Maut. Aameen

No comments: