Sunday, April 24, 2011

When you are present, you are not known

Ibn Abee Haatim Rahimahullah- said: "I entered Damascus and came upon the students of hadeeth, and I passed by the circle of Qaasim al-Joo'ee . I found a group sitting around him and he was speaking. Their appearance amazed me; and I heard him saying: "Seize the benefit of five things from the people of your time: when you are present, you are not known; when you are absent, you are not missed; when you are seen, your advice is not sought; when you say something, your saying is not accepted; and when you have some knowledge, you are not given anything for it. I advise you with five matters: when you are treated unjustly, do not behave unjustly; when you are praised do not become happy; when you are criticised, do not become upset; when you are not believed, do not become angry; and if the people act deceitfully towards you, do not act deceitfully towards them." Ibn Abee Haatim said: So I took this as my benefit from Damascus"

[Related by Ibn al-Jawzee (RH) in Sifatus-Safwaa (2/200)]

No comments: