Wednesday, June 3, 2009

He really spoke the truth, although he is an absolute liar

Narrated Abu Huraira (Radi Allah Anhu): Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi- wasallam) deputed me to keep Sadaqat (al-Fitr) of Ramadan. A comer came and started taking handfuls of the foodstuff (of the Sadaqa) (stealthily) . I took hold of him and said, "By Allah, I will take you to Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi- wasallam) ." He said, "I am needy and have many dependents, and I am in great need." I released him, and in the morning Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi- wasallam) asked me, "What did your prisoner do yesterday?" I said, "O Allah's Apostle! The person complained of being needy and of having many dependents, so, I pitied him and let him go." Allah's Apostle said, "Indeed, he told you a lie and he will be coming again."

I believed that he would show up again as Allah's Apostle had told me that he would return. So, I waited for him watchfully. When he (showed up and) started stealing handfuls of foodstuff, I caught hold of him again and said, "I will definitely take you to Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi- wasallam). He said, "Leave me, for I am very needy and have many dependents. I promise I will not come back again." I pitied him and let him go. In the morning Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi- wasallam) asked me, "What did your prisoner do." I replied, "O Allah's Apostle! He complained of his great need and of too many dependents, so I took pity on him and set him free." Allah's Apostle said, "Verily, he told you a lie and he will return."

I waited for him attentively for the third time, and when he (came and) started stealing handfuls of the foodstuff, I caught hold of him and said, "I will surely take you to Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi- wasallam) as it is the third time you promise not to return, yet you break your promise and come." He said, "(Forgive me and) I will teach you some words with which Allah will benefit you." I asked, "What are they?" He replied, "Whenever you go to bed, recite "Ayat-al-Kursi" -- 'Allahu la ilaha illa huwa-l-Haiy- ul Qaiyum' till you finish the whole verse. (If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you and no satan will come near you till morning. " So, I released him.

In the morning, Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi- wasallam) asked, "What did your prisoner do yesterday?" I replied, "He claimed that he would teach me some words by which Allah will benefit me, so I let him go." Allah's Apostle (sal-allahu-alleihi- wasallam) asked, "What are they?" I replied, "He said to me, 'Whenever you go to bed, recite Ayat-al-Kursi from the beginning to the end ---- Allahu la ilaha illa huwa-lHaiy-ul- Qaiyum--- -.' He further said to me, '(If you do so), Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you, and no satan will come near you till morning.' (Abu Huraira or another sub-narrator) added that they (the companions) were very keen to do good deeds. The Prophet (sal-allahu-alleihi- wasallam) said, "He really spoke the truth, although he is an absolute liar. Do you know whom you were talking to, these three nights, O Abu Huraira?" Abu Huraira said, "No." He (sal-allahu-alleihi- wasallam) said, "It was Satan."

Sahih Al-Bukhari: Volume 3, Book 38

No comments: